Last updated February 23, 2021
GLB Financial Notice
What we collect and how we use it
From Visitors, whether or not they are or become Members, we collect: information about the technical mechanisms you used to access the Sites, such as your browser and operating system type; the link that brought you to our Sites; data points that help our analytics function and which tell us what brought you to a particular spot on our Sites; and your IP address, which is automatically anonymized when used by our third party analytics services. Collectively, this is “Usage Information.”
We use Usage Information to inspect, analyze, and improve our Sites and ensure they function well with the technology used by our Visitors. In addition to analytics about the demographics of our Sites’ Visitors, we use IP Addresses for Visitors not to individually identify you, but to confirm we can deliver the Sites and Services to you based on local legal rules.
Newsletters, email and chat
Visitors and Members may sign up for email newsletters, or email or chat with us on the Sites by providing their name and email address. In connection with our marketing campaigns, we also collect and use information about your engagement with our marketing emails (e.g., whether you open and/or forward those emails) to make sure that the products and offers that we inform you of are relevant to you.
Establishing an account
To become a Member, you may establish an account on the Sites by providing your name, email address, and other information. You may also choose to login via a social network or other third-party platform (for example, Facebook or Google). We may collect information from that platform, such as your social network alias, email address, first and last name, age, number of “friends” on the social network and, depending on your third-party platform settings, a list of your “friends” or connections. Our collection and processing of the information we obtain from third-party platforms are governed by the requirements these platforms impose on us in their relevant terms and conditions.
Applying for financial products
To get an insurance quote, you may need to supply your date of birth, gender, occupation, address, smoking status, height and weight, certain family history, certain health history, certain driving history, and your citizenship status (collectively, “Quote Information”). We use this information to calculate the price estimates for the coverage you request.
Cookies and web beacons
If you use the Services, we also use a cookie to recognize you on return visits and, if you have an account, expedite the login process. You can remove cookies through your browser preferences menu, though the exact method varies depending on the type of browser you use – but note that you won’t be able to log into our Services if your cookies are completely disabled. If you visit from a mobile device, we may reference your device identifier or other information about where your visit originated. The various cookies used on our Sites last for ninety or more days.
- Verify your account and determine when you’re logged in so we can make it easier for you to access the Services and show you the appropriate experience and features;
- Show ads and to make recommendations for businesses and other organizations to people who may be interested in the products, services or causes they promote;
- Measure the performance of ad campaigns for us and for businesses that advertise with or through our Sites, including through retargeting campaigns;
- Serve and measure ads across different browsers and devices used by the same person; and
- Conduct web analytics on usage of our Sites and Services.
You can opt-out of certain cookies and tracking technologies by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance Opt-out here. Note that this opt-out only applies to certain cookies and tracking technologies we use.
Web beacons (also sometimes called “clear GIFs”) are small files stored and/or served on a website on in an email which collect, track, or transmit a data point back to us or to a third party. For example, we use a web beacon to assess whether an email message has been opened.
We use web beacons to facilitate advertising and functionality on our Sites, as well, including without limitation to:
- Associate our users with the reports they provide about satisfaction with our Sites and Services;
- Administer and monitor email campaigns;
- Analyze the portions of our Sites that are used most often by our Visitors, as well as how Visitors interact with our Sites;
- Perform A/B testing on our Sites;
- Optimize interaction with our data stores;
- Improve the functionality and usefulness of our support and support chat functions;
- Analyze the efficacy of our own advertising campaigns;
- Customize the content displayed to you on our Sites;
- Organize and administer other web beacons and cookies on our Sites;
- Conduct web analytics on usage of our Sites and Services; and
- Enable, improve, and effect targeted and re-targeted advertising for our advertising partners on both our Sites and their third-party sites such as Facebook.
In some cases, the above web beacons functions may be performed by custom HTML in our Sites’ code.
We do not currently have the ability to recognize Do Not Track signals.
Other uses of personal information on our sites and services
In addition to the above, we may use your personal information to:
- Otherwise provide, improve, maintain, or optimize the Services;
- Help underwrite and provide accurate insurance premium rate quotes;
- Provide insurers with the required information for applications;
- Provide or offer other financial and consumer products and services from partners with whom we have entered into a joint marketing agreement;
- Provide, maintain and improve customer service;
- Tailor your experience with the Services to your interests;
- Develop and improve the Sites and the Services;
- Respond to your inquiries;
- Communicate with you regarding the products that you purchased through the Sites as well as other products and services that may be of interest to you; and
- In addition, we may aggregate your personal information with our other users’ personal information and use that information for benchmarking and analysis purposes.
Use of personal information for compliance and protection
We may use your personal information to:
- Comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- Protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims);
- Audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies;
- Enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Services; and
- Prevent, identify, investigate and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
How we share your information
- Quote Information and Application Information with insurance carriers to obtain quotes and submit and process insurance applications.
- For Homeowners Insurance shoppers working with mortgage partners, we may also share Application Information with such partners to facilitate completion of the insurance and mortgage transactions.
Information we collect, generally
- With certain third-party vendors that help us administer the Sites and/or Services (and who has agreed to keep personal information they receive confidential and use it only or the purpose of providing their piece of our Services), including by:
- Storing and hosting our content or your data;
- Performing analytics on our Sites and Services; and
- Providing operations and marketing assistance to us.
- With corporate affiliates including any of our parent companies, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with us.
- With counterparties in the course of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, some or all of the personal information may be part of the transferred assets.
- To the extent permitted by law, when required by law, in connection with a court order, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency, or whenever we believe that disclosing such information is necessary or advisable, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of us or others.
How we secure your information
We secure information stored in our data stores using encryption at rest and use additional encryption mechanisms to secure certain sensitive fields on our database. Our Sites use HTTPS and SSL protocols, and transmissions from the Sites to our servers use TLS encryption standard or better. Vendors who receive personal information from us are contractually obligated to impose no less than reasonable security measures on their storage infrastructure, and in any case no lesser measures than they use for their own data.
While we take commercially reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, we cannot guarantee perfect security – no internet-based service can. No security system is impenetrable. Despite our security measures, we cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to and from us over the Internet.
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, California residents who have established business relationships with us may choose to opt out of our sharing their personal information with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and (1) you wish to opt out; or (2) you wish to request certain information regarding our disclosure of your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please send an e-mail to [email protected].
Visitors from outside the U.S.
DemoDirt provides its Sites and Services for use by U.S. residents, and U.S. law, and not the laws of other countries, govern these Sites and Services. If you are visiting the Sites or any of the Services, your information will be maintained in the U.S. and in other locations where we may process data.
By default, we disable the submission of personal information to our Sites from Visitors using European Union IP addresses, regardless of whether the user is an E.U. citizen or using a VPN device. If you need access to your account and are using an E.U. IP address, please email [email protected] with (i) a description of the access and/or help you need, and (ii) an express consent to use any personal information in our possession to respond to your request.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not give us any personal information and do not use the Sites. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, please contact us immediately, and we will delete that information from our databases.
When visit the careers portion of our Sites, we collect the information that you provide to us in connection with your job application. This includes business and personal contact information, professional credentials and skills, educational and work history, and other information of the type that may be included in a resume. This may also include diversity information that you voluntarily provide. We use this information to facilitate our recruitment activities and process employment applications, such as by evaluating a job candidate for an employment activity, and monitoring recruitment statistics. We may also use this information to operate and improve the Services, and as otherwise necessary for compliance, fraud prevention, and safety purposes.
How to opt-out
If you wish to opt-out of the use of your personal information by our Services, we are happy to assist you. Please email us at [email protected] and let us know what you wish to opt-out of. Please be advised that certain uses and sharing of your information may be required to continue providing certain Services to you, and that you will not be entitled to any refund if your removal of personal information will make certain prepaid Services unavailable to you.
Questions or concerns
If you have additional questions or would like more information regarding our information collection, use of disclosure practices, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].
Notice to California residents
We are required by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) to provide to California residents an explanation of how we collect, use and share their personal Information, and of the rights and choices we offer California residents regarding our handling of their personal information.
Under the CCPA, this Notice to California Residents and the privacy practices and rights it describes do not apply to the information we collect, use or disclose about Visitors and Members when they initiate the process of applying for our financial products or services. This is because this information is subject to the federal Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (“GLBA”), and implementing regulations, or the California Financial Information Privacy Act (“FIPA”), or to information related to our business contacts. The GLBA and/or FIPA governs the information of Visitors and Members who initiated the process of applying for our financial products or services.
California Residents’ Privacy Rights. Except as excluded above, the CCPA grants you the following rights:
- Access. You can request a copy of the personal information that we maintain about you.
- Deletion. You can ask us to delete the personal information that we collected or maintain about you.
Please note that the CCPA limits these rights by, for example, prohibiting us from providing certain sensitive information in response to an access request and limiting the circumstances in which we must comply with a deletion request. If we deny your request, we will communicate our decision to you.
You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discrimination.
How to Submit a Request. To request access to or deletion of personal information:
email [email protected].
Identity verification. The CCPA requires us to verify the identity of the individual submitting a request to access or delete personal information before providing a substantive response to the request.
Authorized agents. California residents can empower an “authorized agent” to submit requests on their behalf. We will require the authorized agent to have a written authorization confirming that authority.
Online tracking opt-out guide
Like many companies online, we use services provided by Google, Facebook and other companies that use tracking technology. These services rely on tracking technologies – such as cookies and web beacons – to collect directly from your device information about your browsing activities, your interactions with websites, and the device you are using to connect to the Internet. There are a number of ways to opt out of having your online activity and device data collected through these services, which we have summarized below:
- Blocking cookies in your browser. Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies, including cookies used for interest-based advertising. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Blocking advertising ID use in your mobile settings. Your mobile device settings may provide functionality to limit use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
- Using privacy plug-ins or browsers. You can block our websites from setting cookies used for interest-based ads by using a browser with privacy features, like Brave, or installing browser plugins like Privacy Badger, Ghostery or uBlock Origin, and configuring them to block third party cookies/trackers.
- Platform opt-outs. The following advertising partners offer opt-out features that let you opt-out of use of your information for interest-based advertising:
- Advertising industry opt-out tools. You can also use these opt-out options to limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by participating companies: